Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Get hooked on the Truth




Preaching: Nibbling at the Truth


For do I now persuade men, or God? Or do I seek to please men? For if I still pleased men, I would not be a bondservant of Christ. --Galatians 1:10


This is one of the marks of our modern time--that many are guilty of merely "nibbling" at the truth of the Christian gospel.


I wonder if you realize that in many ways the preaching of the Word of God is being pulled down to the level of the ignorant and spiritually obtuse; that we must tell stories and jokes and entertain and amuse in order to have a few people in the audience? We do these things that we may have some reputation and that there may be money in the treasury to meet the church bills....


In many churches Christianity has been watered down until the solution is so weak that if it were poison it would not hurt anyone, and if it were medicine it would not cure anyone! I Talk Back to the Devil, 30-31.


"Lord, don't ever let me be guilty of watering down the truth or playing to the crowds, concerned about my 'reputation' or 'money in the treasury.' Amen."
[Toser – litmin.org]
----------------------------------------

I like what Toser mentions above. Are we nibbling on the gospel or are we allowing it to consume our life? I can see an example of nibbling. The flow of deaf people tends to come and go in churches either at the church I attend or where I grew up. People look for a church to belong or a club? I just wonder if they are just nibbling on the truth or looking for a fancier fish hook. It’s a boring fish hook, the Truth? The meat on the hook is the Sound Doctrine, the Bible. I have seen many who come to church or bible studies and not satisfied or seeking to have their questions answered in way they want it to be answered. I know that there are times I may not agree to every lesson given during worship, but I seek at the verse, meaning of lesson, and accept the message. I look at the worm and ask God how can I effectively use this Truth and apply it to myself and the world. I don’t want to nibble the Truth but consume the whole truth.

Funny, as I mention how some people looking for their tasteful desire of how a church shall run or in type of order compared to denominations. I can recollect to day when deaf minister, Mark Lowenstein, encouraged an all Men and Women bible class. During the men’s bible class, each men was given a passage to study and take turn to lead the bible study. This was the one of the best opportunity that God has done for me. I felt like a baby bird kicked out of nest and compelled to fly. I was compelled to lead the bible study and if it weren’t for that class, I may never have the encouragement or motivation to write these blogs or lead any ministries. I can still remember the passage. This passage below supports the same concept as I have stated in this blog

2 Tim 4: 3-5
You're going to find that there will be times when people will have no stomach for solid teaching, but will fill up on spiritual junk food—catchy opinions that tickle their fancy. They'll turn their backs on truth and chase mirages. But you—keep your eye on what you're doing; accept the hard times along with the good; keep the Message alive; do a thorough job as God's servant. [MSG]


So every person reads this blog, my message to you, Get Hooked on Jesus.

No comments: