Friday, September 08, 2006

Forfiet your life for the Greatest Gift

NLT

Matthew 10:39
If you cling to your life, you will lose it; but if you give it up for me, you will find it.

Matthew 16:25
If you try to keep your life for yourself, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for me, you will find true life.

Mark 8:35
If you try to keep your life for yourself, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for my sake and for the sake of the Good News, you will find true life.

Luke 9:24
If you try to keep your life for yourself, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for me, you will find true life.

I love Pepsi, I hate water.
I love Steak & Cheese Sandwich, I hate plain salads.
I love Chocolates, I hate raw vegetables.
I love reading SMS\e-mails\IM, I hate reading books.
I love computer, I hate repairing them.
I love watching movies, I hate working out (exercising)


Some of these used to be true but I am changing. I see this concept what is good what is bad for me. Reading the verses above, I see how I ought test my life. I have done more reading on popular Christian living books that I have done in my whole life, but sadly, more than the bible. But lately, I have been struggling reading bible more, studying, and praying. Fasting\meditating last Tuesday gave me realization that I need deny myself! Verse below explains exactly that:

Luke 9:23-27
23Then he said to them all: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. 24For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will save it. 25What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, and yet lose or forfeit his very self? 26If anyone is ashamed of me and my words, the Son of Man will be ashamed of him when he comes in his glory and in the glory of the Father and of the holy angels. 27I tell you the truth, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the kingdom of God."


I am struggling between self-wants and needs. If you all have something to share related to this, Jump in guys.

Lord,

Again, Again I say Praise you Lord for showing us the way. This verse shows that we are in flesh and we separate ourselves if we want to follow you, deny self-daily. That is the key. I love You Lord and I want to follow You all days of my life. Guide me as well as others who are with me. Your Great Name, Amen.

2 comments:

Mark Lowenstein said...

Here's mine :)

I love Mr. Pibb, I hate Pepsi! :)
I love exercising, I hate being a couch potato (must do something)!
I love dark, dark chocolate (healthy), I hate caramel.
I love watching movies, I hate reading novels (unless it's a thriller)!
I love chicken breast, I hate seafood!!

Of course, there's always a mixture of good stuff and bad stuff! When we do the "bad stuff" like reading Christian books more than the Bible, we'll realize we're deep into "knowledge" than "faith". However, it's good to get "knowledge" from the writers but we must ensure it's on the same "Bible plane"! Otherwise, it's nothing but hollow and deceptive (Colossians 2:8) which says, "See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the basic principles of this world rather than on Christ."

Another strong Scripture is, "We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ." 2 Corinthians 10:5!

Our thoughts and will must surrender to Christ, attaining His thought and will!

Matt Sickon said...

Funny thing, I do have the same issue...such as that I read the Christian fiction more then the Bible itself. I wonder why is that ... perhaps is that it is something that we know to be fiction but yet does reflect on Christian character... and does not require in depth study. As for the bible, every word in it has a purpose which requires careful study and understanding ....Now I may sound like an agonistic ....which is one of my fears naturally.

I know what I like but for some reason at this time I cannot remember what I do not like ......perhaps that's kinda odd ... and it is :)

I hope we can learn more about each other's fears and help each other to overcome it. As FDR said it succincitly - the only thing you have to fear is the fear itself .....so Let"s go out and overcome it... not with our strength but with the Lord!