Thursday, August 31, 2006

Reflect Jesus

1 Timothy 4:15-16
15Be diligent in these matters; give yourself wholly to them, so that everyone may see your progress. 16Watch your life and doctrine closely. Persevere in them, because if you do, you will save both yourself and your hearers.

WWJD = What Would Jesus Do

On flip side

DJWW = Devil Just Won’t Win

For Christians, young or old, we keep analyzing how we talk, act, walk like Jesus. Why do we need to do this? Because there are people either in\outside Church who are either new Christians, un-churched people, and spiritual seekers that are watching us. When a Christian stumbles, this person who is watching will be confused. He\She would say “hey, I thought you were a Christian?” something like that. This poem below that I got from Lee Strobel’s “God’s Outrageous Claims” book is very heartening. This person who wrote this poem, was seeking God at the time. But she was confused by actions of so-called Christians around her.

I don’t understand the caring I’ve received. I don’t understand that the leaders don’t seem afraid of questions. They don’t say things like “You just have to have faith” or “You need pray more”. They don’t seem to be afraid to tell who they are. They seem genuine.

(Lee) This Young woman ended her letter with beautiful poem she had written. It contains the heart felt sentiments of a spiritual seeker toward those of us who are Christians. Read these words carefully, and as you do, imagining that this precious person is speaking directly to you. Because she is.

Do you know
do you understand
That you represent
Jesus to me?

Do you know
do you understand
that when you treat me with gentleness,
It raises the question in my mind
that maybe He is gentle, too.
Maybe He isn’t someone
who laughs when I am hurt.

Do you know
do you understand
that when you listen to my questions
and you don’t laugh,
I think, “What if Jesus is interested in me, too?”

Do you know
do you understand
that when I hear you talk about arguments
and conflict and scars from your past,
I think, “Maybe I am just a regular person
instead of a bad, no-good little girl
Who deserves abuse.”

If you care,
I think maybe He cares—
and then there’s this flame of hope
that burns inside of me
and for a while
I am afraid to breathe
because it might go out.

Do you know
do you understand
that your words are His words?
Your face, His face
to someone like me?

Please, be who you say you are.
Please, God, don’t let this be another trick.
Please let this be real.
Please.

Do you know
do understand
that you represent Jesus to me?
(God’s Outrageous Claims – Lee Strobel, pg84-86)

Christians, we are not perfect, but as a family of God, open to each other. Always ask for feedback how to improve, or if there is anything you need to repent, change, be more like Jesus.

Lord,

Sometime we need to have a piercing application like this poem. This is a rude awakening for us. Help us to become more like Jesus. In Your precious name Amen.

4 comments:

Mark Lowenstein said...

Haha! I learned something with the acro, "DJWW"!! That's really interesting..

Michelle and I watched a movie last night called "Second Chance" acted by Michael W. Smith. Man! It's a great movie, and perfectly describes most of the church in the world, including the Lord's church at Fairfax.

Next up, "The Gospel"!! Looks like a promising movie though there are things in the movie that's not suitable but it shows real life situations!

Brothers.. Darrin showed me the book written by Lee Strobel that consists of the poem written by a women. I had to choke my tears back!!

Often, I fail, not once but many times. Probably out of fatigue. Probably out of selfishness. Probably out of a sense that I'm being used. Probably because it's a trap I may fall into. Probably because I feel manipulated by those who takes my help for granted. Probably because no one else would do it (help, serve, surrender) so I allow others to suffer so others within the body will learn what is happening to others that had suffered or still suffering. Simply because they didn't offer their help. Here's the quote this lady wrote:

Please, be who you say you are,
Please, God, don't let this be another trick,
Please let this be real,
Please.

Don't you know,
Do understand
That you represent Jesus to me?

Man! This hits the very core of my heart! And....

I hope it does to, YOU!

Fitness4God said...

List of Jesus's quotations..read on.

http://denniscesone.blogspot.com/

Fitness4God said...

We all have fall short of God's glory..

Jesus quoted..

"Why do you call Me good ? No one is good but God alone." - LUKE 18:19

Matt Sickon said...

I agree with the poem entirely - we must always take care to remember that we are created for who we are, and that by alone is one of God's greatest gift on Earth.

Remember - in Jeremiah 1:5

5 "Before I formed you in the womb I knew [a] you,
before you were born I set you apart;
I appointed you as a prophet to the nations."

Clearly, we all are not perfect but each one of us and YOU do have a purpose here.....

That purpose can be used for the good or bad ...this poem also reminds us that it is the individual that is ultimately responsible for the choices made.

I look forward to discuss this further in person at the retreat! :)